A downloadable game for Windows
Beacon is a sci-fi action roguelite that plays like a top-down shooter. You're tasked with fighting your way through a randomly generated alien world, trapped in an endless search for your ship’s emergency distress beacon — your only hope to signal for rescue after crash landing.
In your search you’ll not only find weapons and items to help you; you’ll also be collecting DNA from the enemies you defeat. When you inevitably die, you’re given the opportunity to integrate the DNA you've collected into your genome, allowing you to alter your statistics and gain gameplay-altering physical mutations for your next clone's life.
Beacon aims to combine fast, frenetic action with ambient exploration, giving the player a rich world to scavenge on their mission to find rescue.
This First Access release will give you a glimpse into the early stage of Beacon's development – this is not the finished version of the game, and as such there will be bugs and gameplay issues that arise as you play. We're hoping that, with your participation in the development message board, together we can push Beacon towards its final release. For this reason, we're initially limiting the amount of keys available for purchase, with more being released as required.
All purchases of the game through Itch.io will also receive a Steam key for the game upon full release.
Over our First Access we plan to release major content updates every 4-6 weeks, with minor updates and quality of life fixes inbetween. Below is a short list of the content currently included in the game, along with estimations of what we intend to include in the full release.
- 4 Randomly Generated Levels (6 in Full Release) -- Enter at the outer forests, fight your way through the swamp, and push through the pollution to the Prism Vault where your Beacon is being held!
- A rich, secret filled world to explore -- Discover the mysteries behind Kovus 18, find tinkered Weapon Variants left behind by previous clones, and track your secrets found percentage at the end of each level!
- 6 Unique Weather Types with Storm Events -- Avoid or make use of Hailshards, Tesla Storms, and Polluted Tornadoes.
- 100+ Items Spread Across 4 Item Types (125+ in Full Release) -- Regain an advantage with one time use Pickups, activate your re-useable auxiliary, swap your grenade mod, and stock up on passive mods!
- 50+ Weapons (75+ in Full Release) -- Carry two weapons at a time and find your favorite combo from a wide selection spread across 5 factions, each with their own unique technologies.
- 65+ Mutations (75+ in Full Release) -- Gain new abilities with each death and alter your character into something not quite human.
- 50+ Enemies with 5 Champion Variants (60+ in Full Release) -- The varied factions that inhabit Kovus 18 will fight each other as well as you.
- 3 Boss Fights (6+ in full release)
DNA is the core of Beacon’s gameplay loop. Through the use of Freja’s state-of-the-art Clone Bay and DNA dropped by deceased enemies, upon death you’re given the opportunity to alter your genetic makeup, changing your statistics before a fresh clone is ‘printed’ back at the beginning of the game. Each faction has their own set of unique DNA and mutations, allowing you to become a battle-hardened mass of metal, a luminous abomination of insect flesh, or anything inbetween.
The planet you've crashed on is unfamiliar. The only information available is its name – Kovus-18 – as it flashes up on your Visorsys OS; the rest of the record is blank. It seems that either nothing is known about it, or whatever was known has been scrubbed from the database. Multiple factions populate its surface, each seemingly at war with the others, and all of them hostile to the planet's newest inhabitant… you.
In Beacon, you play as Freja Akiyama. Having grown up in the backwaters of civilised space, Freja always dreamed of adventure. Enrolling in the military at a young age, she quickly discovered both her natural abilities for combat and piloting spacecraft, and her inability to work within the strict regimen of the armed forces. Freja lives and works aboard her ship, the Ouroboros – a single-berth, heavily-modified light spacecraft that boasts state-of-the-art weaponry and facilities.
As Freja continues to struggle searching for her Beacon, new questions arise; just how many copies of Freja really are there? How long has she actually been here on the planet, stuck in an infinite cycle of survival? Freja’s sanity, her humanity, and the question of what remains of it, will underscore the entire narrative.
|Updated||28 days ago|
|Release date||Apr 30, 2018|
|Made with||Unity, 3ds Max, Maya, Adobe Photoshop|
|Tags||Female Protagonist, Isometric, Low-poly, Roguelike, Roguelite, Sci-fi, Singleplayer, Twin Stick Shooter, Unity|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller|
|Accessibility||Configurable controls, Interactive tutorial|
|Links||Steam, Website, Twitter, Steam|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $19.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Beacon Patch 1.8A Deadly Ecology28 days ago
- Beacon Patch 1.7.1A42 days ago
- Beacon Patch 1.7A Cascading Protocols48 days ago
- Beacon Patch 1.6.1A80 days ago
- Beacon Patch 1.6A Point of No Return88 days ago
- Beacon Patch 1.5.2AOct 01, 2018
- Beacon Patch 1.5.1ASep 25, 2018
- Beacon Patch 1.5A Mechanical DemiseSep 07, 2018